New Product Development in China; Engineering & Prototyping
From print to prototype to production, we’ve been developing new products in China for our customers since 1991.
Going from concept to production and then successfully marketing a new product involves taking a number of critical steps. We’ll cover the entire spectrum of what the product development process looks like in the content below.
1. If there might be any patent or trademark infringement issues, you should perform a patent or trademark search and/or consult a patent attorney. We do not perform patent or trademark searches; we will not knowingly source a product that would infringe on another company’s patents or trademarks. You wouldn’t want this either, as importing a product that infringes on a patent or trademark could trigger a lawsuit, in addition to the possibility that U.S. Customs (or the Customs department of your country) could confiscate the shipment.
2. The product must be engineered, prototyped and tested to insure that it performs as needed. The engineering process involves creating computer-generated drawings (prints), that a manufacturing company will use to create the production parts. Not prototyping your product is a costly mistake that can result in a shipment of defective parts. The prototyping process can also save you money by flushing out ideas on how the product might be made at a lower cost. We can refer you to a company in the U.S. who does excellent engineering and prototyping work.
3. After you’ve tested a fully functioning prototype, it’s now time to do some market research. True market research is finding out what your customers want to buy and then catering your product line and marketing to their needs. What you think you want to sell is a shot in the dark; at worst case, it’s a gamble that could result in you sitting on inventory that no one wants to buy. Show your prototype to as many of your prospective customers as possible; you want to ask their opinion on your product’s quality, function, projected sales price, appearance, and how they’d like to see it packaged. Doing market research will enable you to assess how your product should be manufactured, packaged, and priced, and who the best customers will be to target your sales and marketing efforts to.
4. If there are any changes that need to be made to the product, the prints must be updated. You might consider having a final prototype or two made if your customers want to see an updated version.
5. Have the artwork for your packaging made. Getting your product completely packaged in China is no problem. It is best that you have the artwork made by a local graphic arts company; we do not recommend having the artwork designed in China. We can refer you to a professional company in the U.S. that does fantastic package design.
6. If you’re setting up a new company, it’s important to make a business plan. Your business plan will help you understand the total costs involved in setting up a new business so that you can acquire enough capital to insure that your new company will make it over the long term. Lack of planning and insufficient capital are two of the biggest reasons why new businesses fail.
7. Now you’re ready to go to production. We’ll source a factory for you to make the production run, and get you a quote on the final, packaged product.
To get a quote for the production run, we need the following:
1. A prototype that is a final representation of the product as you want it manufactured, and/or final engineer’s drawings.
2. Purchase quantities per part.
3. The major city closest to you so that we can provide a quote with the freight included.
Ready to get started? Call us at 719-264-5007 or fill out the form at our Contact page.
What Our Customers are Saying
I am the purchasing manager for a machine shop specializing in parts for the packaging and poultry industries. On time delivery is crucial for us. I’ve been dealing with Global Trade since the year 2004 and all I can say is that it’s been a great experience.—
Mike does a great job: quick turn around on quotes, and great service. He keeps me informed about all that’s going on with my orders. Knowing that I’m dealing with suppliers overseas that cannot be reached directly; this gives me great security when I place an order. I positively recommend Global Trade for any outsourcing needs that you may have.